I have wonderful friends. Two people checked in on Sunday: "hey, haven't seen any posts from you, all o.k. up there?"
Welllll, let's start with this story ... I found out during a meeting with my advisor today that my academic program for fall is going to be cancelled due to low enrollment. They typically get the majority of their students from China, and due to tensions and problems, no Chinese students will be enrolled. There was something about students from Brazil dropping off, too, but I didn't catch all of that. It's not unusual for me to miss information when someone's talking. I can follow TV and radio news, lectures, etc., because people are trained to speak clearly, but in casual conversation people are more, well, casual. -- especially in my case. Because I speak with confidence (I stop short of saying "I speak well"), people assume I understand everything they're saying. Ha.
I'd been wondering why I hadn't gotten a tuition bill yet. Now I know.
So, my choices:
1. Enroll in classes for francophones. My advisor suggested it. It will be twice as expensive and 1,000,000 times more challenging. I don't know if I'm capable of doing college-level work for native French speakers.
2. The French school has a two-week private tutoring option. Five hours of one-on-one instruction a day. I know one of the instructors who does that and would really enjoy working with him. I wouldn't be able to come on my Canada study permit (like a student visa) since I wouldn't be a full-time student. (UPDATE: Turns out that's not true. I can be a part-time student on a study permit. Whew...) Without the study permit, I would have a six-month time limit after which I would have to come home. (UPDATE: I can renew the study permit. Turns out part-time is o.k. Whew again ...)
3. Cut my losses and come home now.
So there's that.
Plus I've been dealing with plumbing problems in my apartment, specifically a shower that only ran hot water, no cold. And it was HOT. Took a week to resolve that. I was fretting wondering whether I had made myself clear to the landlord what the problem was. I contacted my landlord again yesterday morning and he came right over and fixed it. He thought his plumber had taken care of it. Message to me: don't wait a week next time I have a problem. Plumbing or home problems suck anyway, and layering a language barrier onto that just compounds the stress.
I'm not going to lie: I hit kind of a low before the weekend. The plumbing thing sucked. I went to a hotel for a few days just to get away from it. Even though I'm in (and halfway through) a three-week Road Scholar class with mostly Americans studying French, I'd been feeling a little isolated and questioning my decision to do this. I saw lots of fun photos of family and friends online doing their thing on the Fourth and missed what was apparently a fantastic family gathering. Even though family and friends are only a social media post or a text away, I miss people. I live alone and am happy living like that, but that doesn't mean I want to be alone all the time.
So I made sure to have an awesome weekend. I got out of town and went to the Mauricie national park about a 40-minute drive due north of here. I did that both Saturday and Sunday. Two beautiful days. I took my journal to write in to sort some stuff out, and also took my guitar just to hang out outdoors and play and replay the small list of songs I know (I've only been playing for eight months). Here's where I sat and played for a really long time on Sunday. There is a beautiful small lake behind the gazebo.
There are many beautiful spots in the park which is actually pretty small. It never ceases to amaze me that Canadian national and provincial parks are never, ever, ever crowded.
Then at night I went to the last two nights of the Festivoix music festival. Saturday night I heard a group that is really popular up here, Kaïn (check them out on YouTube). They're billed as folk rock but I'd call it country rock. The crowd was having a blast and so was the band. Everyone recognized all the tunes and was singing along -- except me, but I was having fun watching people have fun! Sunday night, the closing night of the festival, I went to the performance by Jean-Michel Blais, a pianist who accompanies his piano playing with electronic sounds. (Check him out too.) I had my doubts about that before I heard it, but I really liked it. The common thread between the two very different performances was that the performers engaged with the audience a lot and kept expressing how appreciative they were of people's attendance and support. Cool.
So I've come out of the funk I was in. I very, very rarely get in a funk so it was weird. I didn't enjoy that. Well, I guess no one does or it wouldn't be called a funk.
I have no idea how I'm going to resolve the academic problem. I'm not going to decide tonight. It's late and I have the All-Star game on in the background. I'll focus on that for a few innings. The American League is ahead. As it should be. I'll watch baseball for awhile tonight, and tomorrow I'll start figuring out how to play the academic curve ball I've just been thrown. With thought, planning, and a little luck, I'll knock it out of the park.

Bonjour,mon amie! De l'eau froide, sip! Good luck in your decision- making. A) sounds cool. Look over all courses and think about it! If I studied a whole year in France, you can do it! Your French speaking is superior. B) sounds fun. 6 months is good. Ca va. Especially if you are missing family. C) No way. Trump just put a barrier wall on border with Canada made of beavers and moose. You cannot return. Love ya.
ReplyDeleteGreat thoughts, Crystal. Merci. :)
DeleteS.v.p., not sip.
ReplyDeleteLike I said, I have amazing friends. Five and a half hours after I posted this, 10 p.m. EDT, I got up to go to the bathroom around 3:30 a.m. As I was going back to bed, I tapped the Gmail icon on my phone to see if there was any new mail -- you do that too, you know you do :) -- and there were four messages of encouragement from family and friends. One person said she tried to post and couldn't, and she's in the business of working with people who want to live in other countries (I'll give the company a shout-out in a separate post), so I want to share her comments as she speaks the truth. "Sorry to hear about the setbacks, but I will say this is very typical. The transition is not always easy and then add in some disappointments and it makes it harder. You will get there, you have come this far. How about online classes or cultural exchange at a coffee shop with a local?" -- And I do know that. I do know that people hit a wall, that stuff happens, that everyone has to make a Plan B at some point, etc. I wrote about it in the blog because I'm trying to be real about my experience here. It's easy on social media to make one's life look like all smiley Instagram selfies. I've had a lot to smile about, no question. Now I'm having some struggles too. To everyone, thanks for reading and for your support. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's an opportunity to get more involved in the culture and community, the boundaries are just being stretched! You will overcome!
ReplyDeleteMerci, Doug. I'm still reeling from the bombshell a little bit, but I know that in time I will look back and understand why it happened. Thanks again!
DeleteDiane, once again I'm just coming into the belated conversations. You know that at any time you come home you are REQUIRED to look me up so we can do lunch, picnic, sit on the beach, whatever! I leave for (of all places) Myrtle Beach on July 21 and will return Aug. 6. I have access to a condo on the beach and look forward to visiting with friends I made there last winter. Hot and humid it will be but the ocean is right there with a 10 degree cool down or so they tell me. I love to swim in the ocean and will spend a lot of time in it sans sharks...I hope.I have been busy in Maine as I have caught up with older friends. I now have a part time job starting in August which will keep me in the vicinity through next winter with occasional jaunts to warm climates. When we get together, I'll fill you in. It is indirectly connected to my LGBTQ work at FHS and my desire to stay involved in the community. Stay strong friend and let's look forward to a fun visit in the future.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the clues so I know who wrote this, "Unknown." I will meet my "requirement" after your return on August 6! I'm eager to hear your stories. Enjoy Myrtle Beach even if you'll be there at the hottest time of year!
DeleteD'whit - wondering if you've come to a decision yet. I hope you are in a better place now and things are looking up. You know I'm just a text away! XOXO
ReplyDeleteLynn, I'm working on a new blog post about just that. Thanks for the support -- as always. <3 <3
Delete