Friday, May 15, 2020

my mental health challenge under social isolation

When social isolation first started in mid-March, I thought it would be kind of like two weeks of snow days. I've almost always lived alone and thought I would be o.k. There are solitary things I like to do: read, practice music, write poetry. I figured school would reopen soon and I'd get back to subbing, and my music endeavors would pick up where we left off.

But by the fifth week, social isolation was starting to really get to me. School had closed for the year and I was essentially cut off from the place that has been the center of my life for 19 years. I reached out and offered support in different ways; most of those reach-outs went unacknowledged. My music groups had suspended operations. I went some whole days without hearing another person's voice. (I now believe that a lack of in-person contact is not healthy and not how we are meant to live.) And I'm lucky enough to be in a community where people like to hug. I was missing that. When I would see people at the local grocery or when out for a walk, we would joke about not hugging. But it was starting to become less and less funny. I wasn't sure whether it was better than not at all to see people and not be able to touch or hug them, or whether that just made it worse. I spent time on Facebook, Instagram, and e-mail until I was just sick of it. Zoom gatherings helped, but when the session was over, I felt bereft. Every night when it got dark and really quiet outside, I started feeling a little freaked out, like everything had taken on an eerie tone.

Then two things happened that knocked my foundation out from under me. First was a 48-hour period of really bad news about the devastating short and long-term effects of COVID-19 combined with the news that this isn't going to go away for a long time. That made virus avoidance a more pressing and scary prospect, and made the extended future of social isolation even more grim. It wasn't even about the loss of subbing income anymore. It was about the lack of human contact.

The final blow was the cancellation of my fourth annual summer program in Québec which had been one of the highlights of my life in recent years and a reunion with people who are really special to me. With some of them in Québec on the other side of a closed border and the others scattered all over the United States, there was no hope of any gathering time or place. That did it. Over about a two-day period, I slowly came to terms with the losses of Québec, my school community, my music community. I spent most of my time sobbing and my blood pressure skyrocketed. I got sufficiently scared by my blood pressure numbers that I called my doctor's office and asked whether there was any way I could talk to my doctor. I needed help. They made a phone appointment for me and explained how that would work. I assumed that I would be going on blood pressure medication.

Right at the appointed time, the doctor's nurse called and did the intake interview. I shared with her the results of the blood pressure readings I'd done. Then the conversation turned to lifestyle questions: was I eating and exercising and sleeping, what I was doing with my time. The sobbing started up again. I can't remember when I've cried so hard. I don't think I've cried that hard since my father died nine years ago. As that part of the intake ended, the nurse paused, then said, with the utmost of compassion, "You are not alone." It was very reassuring to hear her say that, to hear acknowledgement that other people were going through the same thing I was.

The nurse wrapped up the intake, told me she would end the call and share all this with the doctor, and that the doctor would call back. And the doctor did so right at the time I was told to expect her to.

One of the things I've always appreciated about my doctor is that she never seems to be in a hurry. She is compassionate, caring, and thorough. And even in the context of a phone visit, that didn't change. To summarize briefly what was actually a lengthy conversation, she thought it made sense first to treat the hypertension by treating me for anxiety. She prescribed me a tiny dose of an anti-anxiety drug and said we would check in after two weeks. And by the end of the day, her scheduler had called me to make the appointment. Of course I researched the drug online. It's prescribed to people who have panic attacks and post-traumatic stress disorder. Seems to fit.

Any med like this takes a couple of days to start doing its thing. I am writing this paragraph one week after my first dose. My blood pressure numbers still occasionally have a little room for improvement, but there have been no more super-high readings and many right in the normal range. And I haven't sobbed since my appointment. Hearing "you are not alone" was huge. Being heard compassionately was huge.

I have one more big take-away from all this. I didn't tell anyone how much I was struggling emotionally as the weeks progressed. I tried to put up a positive front. I good-naturedly complained with a smile on my face about social distancing. But I didn't let anyone know that I was really suffering. I'm not even sure that I was honest with myself about it. When one of my best friends who has known me since age 7 heard my story and implored me to call her if it happens again, I told her that I had been like the frog in the boiling water who doesn't know he's in boiling water until it's too late. -- except that for me it wasn't too late because I had a great doctor whom I trust 100%. She diagnosed anxiety instead of hypertension, and as always, her instincts were spot on.

So that's why I'm writing this. I want people to know that COVID-19 and social isolation take a toll on mental health. And I want people to hear that it happened to me, someone who is known around town as kind of a goofy easy-going free spirit who had a long career as a (can I say successful?) teacher and who even in retirement showed up loud and proud and having a blast at student games and performances. I want to say and have people hear me say that it REALLY pisses me off when people don't take COVID-19 seriously, from the local level all the way to Washington, DC. Every doofus who thinks this is a hoax, who refuses to wear a mask out of vanity, who goes to protests, who insists on having big gatherings, who thinks science is something you choose to believe in or not, is contributing to this lasting longer. Absolutely no one wants this to last longer!! This is unprecedented and this is serious business!! Although I continue to be grateful that none of my family members are ill from this (sadly, I can no longer state that none of my friends are ill from this), I have lost a lot because of this: time with family and friends, my connections to the school, my connections to Québec, my performing. And an unexpected $4000 car engine repair this week was the icing on the cake. That would have been recoverable when I was subbing but won't be so easily now. And a lot of people have lost much more. For myself and for others, we need EVERYONE to take it seriously.

And now I'm writing this paragraph 2.5 weeks after talking to my doctor. I'm doing much better now, 8 weeks into the pandemic. I've accepted that pretty much every endeavor that was important in my life is gone for the foreseeable future or forever, and am grateful that family members and friends are all healthy, even if time with them is limited to phone / text / e-mail / Facebook / Zoom. I've accepted that retirement is over and that I have to go back to work, hopefully teaching somewhere. And I've gotten used to being alone a lot and learned what I need to do to not be unhappy (healthy diet and exercise, more creativity, less Facebook, more activity even it's in within my four walls, less following the news which never changes nowadays anyway). That doesn't mean I'm happy about what has come to pass, it just means I've accepted it. I still have trouble, though, coming to terms with the fact that we're living in a dystopian novel with a raving lunatic for a leader. But I've learned that the most productive way to deal with that is to do what I can to see that he and his minions are voted out.

And the other reason I'm writing this: if you who are reading this are starting to struggle mentally or emotionally, please reach out to me. Don't follow my bad example and try to tough it out. I will listen and I will help you get help. We all need to be helping each other right now.

P.S. 24 hours later: Several people have tried to comment on here and not had their comments post. I don't know why that's happening but will try to find out! If you check back and your comment didn't appear, please know that I didn't delete it! I'll try to solve the mystery.

13 comments:

  1. Diane, we've talked about this, so I wasn't surprised, but I must say you have conveyed your feeling beautifully in the blog. As you know, I can empathize because of my own struggles with anxiety and I admire your courage for letting others know about your recent experiences. Bon courage, mon amie! With lots of (distanced) hugs, Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, cher ami. If my story encourages one person to get help, it will have been worth the time and effort to write it and put it out there. Lots of virtual hugs back at you.

      Delete
  2. Diane, thanks for this! I have struggled with anxiety most of my life, and this pandemic and the uncertainty we face every day because of it has certainly not helped. This article will help so many. We're lucky to have you in our lives. Hugs, Hugs, Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sara! I hope it does help even one person.

      Delete
  3. Diane, I have been fortunate in that I work in a doctor's office and, therefore, have continued to work. But almost every other part of my life has changed. I also reached out to my doctor and increased the dosage of the antidepressant I was already taking. When I first experienced depression many years ago I also held back, refusing to admit I needed that kind of help. I have since learned not to be ashamed of it and that it's a treatable (at least in my case) medical condition just like high blood pressure. I am glad you have wonderful medical personnel who could see what was happening. I'm glad you're doing better. I love you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, Steph. Love and strength right back to you.

      Delete
  4. You have rung the bell and told the truth tale of the day! This writing was brilliant in its authentic raw gutts of the matter, and I appreciate that so much. It's not unlike much of my own reality of these days. The guilt that accompanies being so honestly privileged and fortunate for being healthy, having a home that's safe and a community that is unscathed by this whole global event of horror and dismay, and for not being touched by it on any personal scale of friends or family who have become ill or even "just" testing positive. That has kept my in a deep dive into what's called situational depression, which usually carries a smile, laughter, chin up carry on stance, and also tightness of breath and muscles, aching muscles, brain fog, excessive comfort food, exhaustion, and a general feeling of walking through deep water with lead weights. Yep, I'm with you in the visit with virtual doctor appointment (lucky to have had a new doc "wellness" visit scheduled synchronistically during this week). Lots to discuss, reveal, let go, and open up to what I resist and deny vigorously. Onward into what may offer more ease and a slightly improved sense of well-(or better)-being, allowing of the moments to unfold and let what comes go through a more permeable part of myself and not get some deeply stuck. It's not always a darkened day. The sun can be a huge support, but then the overcast comes and the shadows begin to dance again and the breath becomes more shallow, calling me to remain less in the tomorrows; somehow I know that whatever comes will be met with a strength from somewhere very deep.
    Thanks for providing a place to write and explore with the reassurance that I'm also not alone in this feeling. Blessings always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Martha, what an amazing piece of writing. You are most certainly not alone. Best wishes to you.

      Delete
  5. Very surprised your doc didn't recommend counseling?

    New coping skills for you in your personal life, etc.

    The way we knew to be "normal" is gone forever.

    Give yourself a pat on the back for not drowning your sorrows in booze (which seems to be popular; & only exacerbates the situation)!

    Doh.

    #BabySteps


    DBT counselors in the Portland, ME area:

    https://bit.ly/2ZceDXm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so take 2 on a comment. And I wrote such a good one yesterday...

    Talking about mental health is SO important. I am so sorry to hear you were struggling and so glad to hear you are getting help and starting to feel better. None of this is easy and we all have to do what is right for us, and the best we can.

    I also saw your note on Facebook about grieving things. I hate the phrase "first world problems". The whole goal of the phrase is to shame people into not feeling their feelings about something. Yes, we are privledged in oh so many ways. It doesn't, however, negate the fact that we have sadness, disappointments, anger, grief etc... Everyone has to live in the society they are in for good and for bad. No society is perfect. I truly believe that in order to be health we need to feel our emotions, no matter what they are.

    I am glad to see you have so many supportive people in your life. I'm always here also.
    Big hugs. At least virtual hugs from me are "normal".
    Take good care mon amie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered the other parts of my comment. Firstly severely reducing my news intake has been immensely helpful. News isn’t really new these days. I read a little bit so I know what is going on locally, but that’s it.
      The second thing... they are reopening things around here, at least a bit, with lots of precautions in place. They are basically telling is to learn to live with the pandemic. The lockdown is over, but the distancing is not. This is life for a bit anyhow. I am going to brave a haircut soon. Seems so basic and yet so weird.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for commenting and coming back and re-commenting, Danielle. #1, right there with you on reducing news intake. I don't even have TV any more and I just skim headlines online. #2, I got the "other people have it worse off than you" line the other day. Like I don't know that?? Wasn't helpful. Explained less than patiently that "snap out of it" isn't a thing. #3, right there with you on "learning to live with it." That's kind of where I am now, not thinking so much about what I've lost and instead concentrating on what to do and how to live now. #4, I am indeed fortunate to have great people in my life. Including you. Merci beaucoup, mon amie!

      Delete
  7. Hi Diane, this is a very belated comment, but no less heartfelt. Thank you for sharing your experience! I am no stranger to anxiety and depression, nor are my children in one way or another. I am eternally grateful that I am able to continue working at Maine Med during this time. And grateful to my colleagues and admin who are working so hard to create an environment safe for both patients and caregivers. But even with satisfying and gainful employment, I feel the isolation and strain of these times on my days off, and within my family. Today at a rally in Portland I learned just how much heavier a toll the Covid pandemic is taking on black and brown Mainers. We are in such dire need of healing! I truly believe that the healing cannot begin until we address the systemic injustices of our society. Why...why does not every child in this country have access to the same quality of education that is offered in our affluent communities? This is an outrage. Why are so many poor people forced to live in unsafe, dehumanizing housing while the wealthy enjoy safety and a beautiful environment, with second homes for leisure? Shall I wade into healthcare? Or the soul shrinking fear of being a person of color and being confronted by police? Maybe I am not depressed because I am too angry to be depressed. But the havoc being wreaked on all of us will not truly be addressed until we grapple with the deep inequities in America that have become more visible since the onset of the pandemic. Oh my, I did not intend to get on my soap box! But I long and pray for deep healing in our society. I admit to my white privilege, and all the security and opportunity that come with it. If we are feeling at a loss, and at loose ends, let’s join in the hard work of being the change we long to see in the world.

    ReplyDelete